Pages

Ads 468x60px

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Halloween 2


I have never ever walked out of a movie theater disappointed with a Rob Zombie film. I love Rob Zombie and for the most part approved of his take on the Halloween legacy. And I wish he had kept his word and not made a sequel.

Halloween 2 should have never been made. It is simply a rehash of the first film with a ridiculous plot line thrown into the mix. The movie has none of the intensity of the previous film and contains no truly scary moments.

My biggest beef is with the casting. A big complaint lies with the return of Malcolm McDowell and Danielle Harris. While both great actors their returns to Halloween 2 were pointless and a waste of their talents. What was the point of bringing them back from their near deaths in Halloween 1?

The Sam Loomis I knew and loved would not rest until Michael Myers was stopped. That Sam Loomis would have never been obsessed with a silly book tour and fame. All poor Danielle Harris' character got to do was stand around patting Laurie's shoulder before her pointless demise. Why bring her back at all? And what was the point of creating new friends for Laurie? They were boring and not worth the screen time.

I never could accept Scout Taylor-Compton as Laurie Strode. Her Laurie was too hyper and spastic. She had none of the quiet grace and dignity that Jamie Lee Curtis brought to the role. I was hoping that the second film would portray her a little more seriously, but instead she was even worse. I was fed up with the character before the film had even hit the halfway mark. Even the presence of Sheri Moon Zombie, another favorite actress, could not save the film for me.

I will see Rob Zombie's work but my infatuation with the Halloween reboot is over. Trust me avoid this one and simply rent Zombie's first Halloween, you won't be sorry.

0 comments: