Pages

Ads 468x60px

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Blogroll: A book that changed your life


It would have to be Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel. No I am not bipolar nor have I ever taken Prozac but I have been in Miss Wurtzel's shoes. I was the girl who would one minute be smiling and the next in tears. I had the pessimistic who gives a shit we are all going to die anyway mentality. I cut myself before cutting became the disturbingly "trendy" thing to do nowadays. I would drink and party to excess often causing a scene or becoming a nuisance.

I was a prisoner of my own emotions and I hated every minute of it. And I thought I was a freak, there was no one who acted the way I did. Then I read Prozac Nation and nearly cried reading it. Elizabeth was a lot like I was and it alienated her friends and family and made her life Hell.

As she worked her way to some sort of recovery, I began taking stock of my life. Writing became less a hobby to me and more an outlet to my emotions. I learned how to maturely deal with my anger and not to self-medicate myself with booze. I have a steady mature relationship with a man I love. I am making friends and not alienating them with unnecessary drama or tantrums.

When I felt alone, I felt there was no hope for me but after reading Prozac Nation and realized that I wasn't alone. I had hope which I think saved my life.

0 comments: